Sunday, July 15, 2007

Inquiry Based Learning

In some respects I have used inquiry-based learning in my computer lab. My fourth graders did a unit on Space. We used a software program called "Field Trip to the Sky". The students were given a series of questions to answer based on information found on the CD. They then used data found on the CD to create Graphs in Excel comparing the distances of planets to the sun. There are also many videos that can be viewed on this site. I did a similar lesson with my fifth grade students but the topic was rocks using "Field Trip to the Earth". After answering questions about Earth, students were asked to write a paragraph in Word about the three types of rocks. My seventh grade class created an Inspiration concept map based on different aspects of "Johnny Tremain" that they were reading in their Language Arts class.
Many of my teachers used Inquiry-based learning in their classrooms this year. In the teaching of many different subjects, the teachers use a combination of Interactive software with the Smart Board, Internet websites and software. The teachers find that the students end up with a better understanding of the subject matter when they use many different medias to teach the subject.

No comments: